Portable Barbecues – please use correctly

  • 15th April 2015
  • admin

We’re concerned about some recent news reports which highlight how dangerous it is to take a portable barbecue indoors. One family who were camping in the Dumfries and Galloway region of Scotland required hospital treatment after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning when they took a portable barbecue into their tent. They were only alerted after their dog was sick.


Sadly an elderly couple’s cause of death was last week confirmed as being due to carbon monoxide poisoning. On a cold November night they took a portable barbecue into their conservatory to try to keep warm after they had a power cut at their home.


Portable barbecues:

  • Emit carbon monoxide.
  • Even when extinguished, fumes are still present.
  • Are meant to be used outdoors.

Carbon Monoxide is:

  • The Silent Killer
  • Invisible – you can’t smell it, taste it or see it.
  • Deadly – only 2% of carbon monoxide can kill in between two and three minutes

Never take a portable barbecue indoors.

Never take a portable barbecue into a tent or into any confined area.

Stay Safe from Carbon Monoxide