Saving your family from the silent killer can cost less than $30

  • 2nd May 2014
  • admin

According to the new code adopted by South Carolina, in regards to hotels and Carbon monoxide, there different ways hotels can keep you safe.

“There’s options in the code for the hotel to have Carbon monoxide alarm and carbon monoxide detectors tied into the fire alarm system of the facility,” says Shane Ray, SC Fire Marshal.

To give you a peace of mind feel free to carry your own detector with you while on vacation.

Levels of Carbon monoxide are measured by parts per million also known as PPM.

PPM measures levels of pollutants in air, water and body fluids.

According to The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission if you are exposed to more than 150 ppm of Carbon monoxide, you may experience dizziness, unconsciousness, and possibly die.

State Fire Marshal Shane Ray says once the alarm goes off get out the building.

“Get to fresh air if you feel faint dizzy get to fresh air and then call the local authorities,” says Ray.

Each device works differently but it’s main focus is to alert you when levels of carbon monoxide start to get to high.

The way your body reacts to it varies by age, health condition, and the amount that you’ve been exposed to.

Two years ago 49 people died in South Carolina due to unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning.

Six of those are from Lexington and Aiken County.

The Department of Health and Environmental Control has a tool on its website that allows you to track carbon monoxide deaths by county.

It also gives you all the info you need to know about this deadly gas.

So as you prepare to enjoy some fun in the sun, remember purchasing a device for less than $30 could keep save your family’s life.