Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week – 17th – 23rd November, 2014

  • 15th November 2014
  • admin

Charity Carbon Monoxide Awareness is organising its 9th annual Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week taking place from 17th – 23rd November, 2014.

At Smart Compliance, we will back anything that raises awareness of this deadly gas and its effects.

Sadly there is still a lack of awareness about the gas. CO is called the Silent Killer for good reason – it is undetectable to the human senses.

Statistics show that while 84% of households have a smoke alarm, only 12% of homes have installed a carbon monoxide detector.

There are also misconceptions, some people think a smoke alarm detects carbon monoxide and most CO detectors also have a limited lifespan – so even if you have one, it may not be working.

Last year in the UK, there were 40 deaths attributed to carbon monoxide poisoning with around 4,000 people requiring hospital attention or visits to their doctor as a result of suspected CO exposure.

Fatalities are tragic and the numbers of people visiting hospital or their GP also causes alarm, because there is still little known about the long-lasting effects to health of being exposed to low
levels of carbon monoxide poisoning.

This is also a time when people are turning up the heat in their homes and it’s when deadly fumes can become more prevalent.

Awareness is key and we support the good work of the CO charities who work tirelessly to raise awareness in a bid to keep people safe in their own homes.

Keep yourself and your family safe and warm this winter:

  • Make sure you have all your appliances checked and serviced by a qualified engineer.
  • Install an audible working carbon monoxide alarm.

Know The Signs:

  • Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include nausea, dizziness, tiredness, headaches, loss of balance and forgetfulness. These symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to those of flu (and hangovers!)
  • Other people in your house, flat or University building could be having similar symptoms.
  • The symptoms disappear when you leave the house or go away on holiday and return when
    you come back.
  • The symptoms may be seasonal. Headaches can appear during the winter when the central heating is turned on.

Other Signs:

  • There may be sooting or staining on or around your appliance.
  • Where the appliance is installed there could be excessive condensation in the room.
  • Flames could be lazy yellow or orange coloured.

What to do:

  • Immediately open doors or windows for ventilation.
  • Call the relevant emergency advice line: Gas Emergency Service (24 hours) 0800 111 999
  • Go to your GP or nearest A & E department, call NHS Direct or, if it is urgent, call 999 for an ambulance.
  • Have all appliances serviced and checked.
  • Make sure you have a working carbon monoxide detector.

For Further Information:

Download our information sheet